Implant Dentistry: Know different types of dental implants
Dentistry has evolved by leaps and bounds over the last one decade. We now have procedures which can not only improve your stained teeth but also give you new set of teeth altogether. One such procedure which has changed drastically in the last two decades is the Implant Dentistry. Tooth replacement is not the same as it was few years back. However you should be aware that the idea or concept of dental implants is not a new one. The concept dates back to Mayan Civilization in 600 AD.
Visit the best dental clinic in Thailand for Dental Implants
Implant Dentistry: The procedure
Today’s highly successful implant dentistry procedures consist of root replacement for a natural tooth, to which a crown is attached. The implants once fixed will give an impression of your natural teeth. Moreover they do not decay and are relatively free from developing gum disease. As with most treatment procedures in dentistry today, this not only involves scientific discovery, research and understanding, but application in clinical practice.
Before knowing the types of dental implants your dentist will be using while performing the procedure, you must be aware about Dental Implants. Our teeth has two main structures: Crown and Root. Crown is the portion which is above the gum tissues and Root (as the name indicates) is below the gum tissues.
Check out Tooth Implant Dentists in Bangkok
So implant dentistry basically focuses on fixing these two parts of teeth. The best part of the implants used these days is that they fuse with the bone. This procedure is called as Osseointegration. They are made out of titanium because the metal is bone friendly.
Implant Dentistry: Types of Dental Implants
You’d be surprise to know that at the present moment there are more than 40 types of dental implants. Apart from these 40, there are two other types: mini and micro-mini implants.
So ideally the most popular dental implants used these days are:
- Single Tooth Replacement: Uses just one implant and supports single crown.
- Multiple Tooth Replacement: Used for multiple missing tooth. Usually a minimum number of 4-8 implants are needed to replace a full arch (jaw) of teeth, 10 or more crowns by fixed bridgework
- Combinations of fixed and removable bridgework: generally where implants are used to support a section of fixed bridgework, to which is attached a removable section.
- Over-dentures: where two or more implants, either standard or mini-implants, are placed to provide stabilization of the denture and preserve the underlying bone. Whereas most traditional full dentures press directly on the gum and bone causing bone loss by resorption, implant supported over-dentures protect the bone. Over-dentures are now considered the standard of care by the American Dental Association for the patients who have lost all of their teeth in one or both jaws
Undergo Over-Denture in Bangkok
- Anchorage for tooth movement (orthodontics): Implants, either standard, mini, or micro-mini implants, are now being used to provide very stable and non-movable anchor units to allow quicker and easier tooth movement
- Temporary bridgework: utilize micro-mini implants which are later removed when the permanent implants are healed and teeth permanently replaced. They ensure that at no time will a person be without teeth and can therefore be socially comfortable and functional
Search for Crown and Bridges in Bangkok
The evolution of implant dentistry has given high hopes (and lived up to the expectations as well) to patients. It is imperative for you to make sure that you take good care of them post the procedure. Practice good oral hygiene and floss daily to to ensure healthy teeth. You can use Inter Dental Brushes which reaches the difficult areas of your teeth. Also keep disturbing your dentist to keep a check on the condition.