Dental Implant Surgery: Understand the procedure and risks
Dental Implant Surgery
Dental Implant Surgery is carried out to replace the root of a missing tooth. While performing this surgery your dentist will place an artificial tooth on the extension of the post on dental implant. This gives a natural look and feel to our teeth.
Definition of Dental Implant Surgery
This is a procedure where-in the tooth root is replaced with metal and screw like posts. It helps in replacing the missing teeth with artificial ones. These artificial teeth give the same look and feel of the natural teeth. It is an excellent option for those who are missing teeth. Apart from that dental implant surgery is also an excellent alternative to dentures and dental bridge.
The disadvantage of dentures and dental bridge is the look and feel they give to your teeth. Dental Implant looks just like natural teeth and hence is the favorite of one and all.
The entire procedure depends upon the type of implant and also the condition of the jawbone. Dental Implant Surgery is a complicated and a long procedure. It involves a lot of steps and occurs in many stages. We will not get into the entire details of the each and every step but will surely discuss about the procedure and some type of risks involved.
The advantage of dental implant surgery is the durability as it provides a wonderful and solid support to new teeth. To achieve the support it is important for the bone to fit snugly around the implant. This healing of bone takes a long time hence the entire procedure takes a long time.
Reasons that dental implant surgery is perfect for you
Here are the reason why dental implant surgery is the right option for you
- One or more missing teeth
- Jawbone which is overgrown
- You have enough bone which will help secure the implant
- Your oral tissues are healthy enough
- There is no adverse health condition. Having adverse health condition makes it difficult for bone to heal.
- You simply hate dentures
Dental Implants are placed in your jawbone by surgical treatment. Here the implants serve as a root for the missing tooth. Your dentist will be using titanium in the implants. Titanium will fuse with the jawbone and will not let the implant slip away. Furthermore there wouldn’t be any damage caused to the bone.
Are there any risks in Dental Implant Surgery
It is a surgery hence there are bound to be risks involved. There are some kind of health risks that you might have to face. However it should be noted that the problems are rare and wont cause any risk of life or permanent damage to your teeth. The problems include:
- Infection at the place of implant
- Injury caused to the structures surrounding implant site.
- Pain caused due to nerve damage. It will not only cause pain but also numbness or a tingling sensation in the natural teeth, gums, lip or even chin.
- In case the dental implant which is placed at the upper jaw reach out to the sinus cavities it might cause sinus problem.
Just like any other surgical procedure your dentist will take a thorough examination of your mouth and unless he/she is satisfied that you are fit enough, they will not start the procedure. This is the time when you need to open up with your dentist so that they can know every detail of the problem. Also tell them whether you are under some kind of medication or not.
As a dentist it is important for us to maintain the dental sterilization standards. Dental Clinic should be clean and free of germs. We at Dr. Sunil International Dental Center have take care of every detail. Even if you come here for smile makeover procedure we ensure you complete care. Our sprawling dental clinic and state of art infrastructure catches the eye of every patient that pays a visit to us. This has made us one of the best Thai clinics.
What to expect in Dental Implant Surgery
You should know that the surgery will take time as it is an outpatient surgery. The entire surgery is carried out in steps. These steps include:
- Damaged tooth being removed
- Jawbone being prepared for surgery. Here you might have to undergo bone grafting procedure if there is no adequate bone in your gums.
- Once the jawbone is healed a dental implant and metal post is placed in the jawbone.
- The healing time is too high
- The oral surgeon places the abutment — an extension of the implant metal post — followed by your new artificial tooth (crown)
The general time frame for the entire procedure to end is 3-9 months or may be even more. A majority of that time is spent on healing and bone growth.
What is expected of you after the procedure
Dental Implant Surgery is mostly successful. However there are chances that your bone will not fuse with the implant. The biggest reason for this is smoking and chewing tobacco.
Within a couple of months you can try the procedure in case the bone fails to fuse together. The bone will be cleaned and implant will be removed.
It is also expected from you to follow these procedures:
- Maintain not just good but excellent oral hygiene. Make sure you brush, floss and use mouthwash twice a day.
- Make sure you see your dentist regularly.
- Maintain healthy eating habits and avoid anything that spoils your teeth.
So just keep yourself healthy and just keep it that way.