Pyorrhea: Causes and Cure
Pyorrhea which is also known popularly known as Periodontitis is one of the most common dental problems faced by us. The condition occurs when the tissues i.e periodontium, surrounding and supporting the teeth gets affected. If this condition is left untreated patients will start losing teeth. The reason why this happens is because of the lack of proper dental hygiene which helps the bacteria to stick to the tooth which keeps deteriorating our teeth. The loss of teeth occurs because patient starts losing the alveolar bone which surrounds the teeth.
Signs and Symptoms
In the initial stages this disease does not have many symptoms but as it starts to progress you need to pay attention to these signs:
- When you are brushing your teeth or flossing you see redness in your teeth. Even while chewing on hard fruits such as Apples or Guava or Pear, you see some sort of redness its time that you should seek dental help.
- Recurrent gum swelling.
- You spit your toothpaste along with blood.
- Consistent Bad Breath.
- Deep pockets formed between teeth and gums.
- And in case you have completely ignored it you may even experience lose teeth.
This disease is caused by the destruction of periodontium which is the tissue that supports our teeth. The tissue is destroyed primarily because of the improper dental hygiene. We tend to be so complacent towards our dental habits that we do not realize the after affects of it. Poor dental hygiene gives a reason for bacterial growth and eventually plaque formation. Did you know that even diabetes can lead to Pyorrhea? This is the reason why diabetic people are asked to stay very particular with their day to day home habits. Smoking is another reason for patients to suffer from Pyorrhea. Smoking not only causes this condition but also interferes with the treatment. As mentioned lack of proper dental hygiene gives a reason for bacterial growth leading to plaque formation. Now, if this plaque is not removed or treated it may lead to tartar formation and trust me its even more bad.
Just like any other disease Pyorrhea or Periodontal Disease is curable. We need to make sure that we follow proper dental hygiene every single day. But is it all? Well no so keep in mind the following procedures to ensure you stay away from this embarrassing disease:
- Brushing: This is the best and the only way out to avoid any oral disease. Period!! Brushing twice daily for 2-3 minutes is the ultimate way to keep your mouth healthy.
- Flossing: Incorporating this habit in your daily routine helps remove the food which is left after brushing. The other advantage of flossing is that the life expectancy increases by 6 years.
- Mouthwash: After you have brushed and flossed your tooth using an antiseptic mouthwash helps overcome any bad breath.
- Visiting your dentist regularly: Nothing beats this step. A professional knows the exact issue and the exact cure. So visiting a dentist regularly ensures that you are up-to-date with your dental condition and whether or not you need to undergo any treatment.
Apart from all these treatments you will be pleased to know that there are multiple other homemade remedies which helps us fight this diseases. Chewing of Onion helps to kill all the germs. Onion has the tendency to fight gum bleeding. Consume Vitamin C rich fruits such as Guava and Lemon. Lemon prevents inflammation.
However nothing would work to your advantage if you do not follow Brushing + Flossing + Mouthwash steps daily. The advantage will always be with the bacteria and your mouth will always be vulnerable to bacterial attacks. So its important to make sure that we are disciplined with our dental hygiene acts.
To read more about this disease click here : Pyorrhea
Featured Image Courtesy